How healthcare security is evolving
The security in the healthcare system has significantly advanced as the need to make everyone involved in the industry more secure and fulfilled arises. Additionally, the enhanced healthcare security is more beneficial and rewarding and the experts are always on alert of any changing factors in the industry. Some of the measures taken in ensuring this safety include safeguarding the patients general information and their physical well-being. The safety of the staff in the healthcare industry is also well enhanced and equally treated as a priority. Below are some of the ways the healthcare security is evolving.
Safeguarding the Digital Information
The United States Department of Health and Human Services through the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) ensures that the entire individual's data or information is well safeguarded. The HIPAA is divided into two components which are the Privacy Rule and Security Rule. The HIPAA Privacy Rule consists of the protection of individual's information as well as how it's accessed, saved and shared. HIPAA Security Rule, on the other hand, articulates the standards upon which the health data is electronically created, maintained and transmitted.
All the healthcare providers and institutions are required by the government to comply with all the HIPAA standards and also train their staff adequately. The staff members should be able to effectively protect their client's data and uphold the institutions and healthcare industry's standards and ethics. Some of the measures used to protect individual's information through HIPAA include:
· Keeping the entire patient's information confidential.
· Backing up the individual files in secured locations and devices.
· Protecting the patients information in highly protected devices and cloud platforms by using password protection.
The information is also protected by using the virtual private network when sharing and communicating the patients data and information through digital means.
The end goal of undertaking these protective measures in this digital era is to enhance safety while ensuring that the cyber attackers do not steal and benefit from the individuals health information.
Healthcare Facility Safety and Precautions
The institutions and healthcare facilities safety standards are also enhanced to ensure that the patients, staff members, and visitors are in a safe environment. The HIPAA also covers the safety standards in the healthcare facilities, and they seek to enforce this by using various measures including:
· Installing surveillance cameras at the facility in strategic places especially in areas such as entrances and hallways. This allows the security officers in the facility to check the identities of the people visiting the facility and keep track of their activities. It will also be easier to for the security team to detect the unauthorized personnel or prevent any unlawful activity from happening. Nevertheless, there are areas that do not need these surveillance systems such as the restrooms or hospital rooms.
· Installing the alarm gadgets and placing them in strategic positions to enable the staff and security personnel to be on high alert when suspicious activity is in the offing.
· Have an efficient security system with well-trained personnel and management team to efficiently protect the facility and the people involved.
The compliance of the above healthcare security mechanism is also continuously evolving, and the experts are always updated on the ways to keep all the individuals in the healthcare system safer, satisfied and comfortable.